Welcome

Welcome to the future of Rwanda, where True Vineyard Ministries' Bake the Cycle Project is working with widows who have survived genocide, rape and disease to improve their lives and the lives of their children and future generations through the establishment of the Bread of Life Bakery in Musanze.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Open Letter to Rwanda 10 from Charlie

Yesterday morning at breakfast Charlie asked the team if he could read us a letter he had written to us. After reading it, there was not a dry eye at the table. With his permission I am posting it here for all to read.





This is an open letter to the Rwanda ten, rcently 11. Heidi, since you just arrived, I don't know you very well, but from what little I have seen, it's our loss that you weren't here for the duration. However, having said that and having lived with these folks for the past three weeks, it is also truly your loss not to have been here.

It's almost impossible to to relate the ups and downs of this experience. From the interminable airplane trip here to the elation of completing the fence. From wild moto rides to the joy of the widows who went to counseling and the tex-mex dinner and singing of the same evening. Who can forget watching a world cup soccer match and blowing horns at the "Hotel Rwanda" or "Good morning, teacher, how are you?" from a pack of urchins at 5:00 in the afternoon.

There were hard moments like the emotion of the Genocide Museum and Molly's discomfort that we all felt as she sat on the ground and tried gamely to remain with prayer at the property.

Then there was the Rwandan people themselves who still remain an enigma to me. On one hand manipulative, grasping and begging; on the other loving, helpful and engaging. While the really HARD workers like the "wedge boy" and the two Pascals were an inspiration, the little boy with the tattered t-shirt who probably would get no formal education tugged at your heartstrings. And always the spectre of the Genocide and the question of why and how did this happen? But the potential is awesome, truly Rwanda is the "land of a thousand evils, a thousand possibilities and a thousand and ONE solutions".

And then, there is the TEAM, this wonderful team, who created memories which will last a lifetime...

There is Ellen, with her charming, youthful smile and the incredible oportunity at her tender years to do something so benefical for others as her knitting lessons (for the widows).

And Mama Jane with her beautiful voice at worship and her sometimes quiet, sometimes not pride in her daughter's efforts with the ladies.

Karen brought her love of children, quiet confidence and a dancer's grace with her Pastoral spirit.

Sweet Bun, whose drive and confidence was so necessary, our EARLY morning conversations I will sorely miss.


Molly, bouncy Molly, team cheerleader, who, if she wasn't throwing up, was futilely trying to get someone to answer "Where are we?"

The Team Leader, Diana, constantly negotiating with Rwandans and being EXCITED about the next event. She broke my heart when, as I was making taco meat, I heard her crying alone in the kitchen for her ailing pet.

Ah Mike, the heart of the operation, my male-bonding, understanding roommate. The meaningful eye-contact he made when we both recognized something as "bull" often got me thru the day.

Iracible John, who likes people to believe he's cranky, but whose working spirit and knowledge belie a warm, generous heart that are indispensible to ANY team.

And finally, Val, my prayer partner, who gently worked behind the scenes to make everyone's experience better, particularly mine. John, I often say God took one look at me and said "this boy is going to need help" and sent me an Angel in Judy. I truly believe, in Val, you got the same deal!

We've been told we were a successful team and I believe I know why this was such a successful team. Apart from the obvious traits of drive, flexibility and specific competence, there were in each person, understanding, compassion and love and I can relate each in my personal experience.

None of you can relate being able to hear sometimes only every third word in a group and how foolish it makes a person feel, but you each seemed to UNDERSTAND and not become annoyed with having to repeat of flash worship page numbers.

Also, at 64, I am easily the oldest in the group. You all instinctively knew that and were continually trying to show me deference with with lighter work loads and assistance (i.e. wheelbarrows and the cave). While I am in the best shape of the last 30 years, it amazed me, but it was true COMPASSION and I appreciated it.

Lastly, I experience a new emotion in my life, as for the first time. I was completely disconnected from someone I have loved and depended on for 42 years. To put that in context, I met her a few years before Karen was born. While you can't yet know what that's like, you individually and collectively sensed it and provided the love that was so necessary for me to cope!

So, these are my thoughts and examples of why this was such a sucessful team. Heidi, you did almost miss a unique group of individuals who became, in these three weeks and to paraphrase shakespeare: "we few, we happy few, we band of sisters and brothers."

Oh, and Molly, the answer will always be "we were RWANDA."

2 comments:

Quirky Mess said...

Charlie, this is beautiful!!

While I wouldn't trade my time with Diana in Africa for anything, I knew the day I left that I was leaving her with a very special group of people and I was sorry that I wouldn't be staying there with you all.

This team has played a pivotal role in growing True Vineyard's work in Rwanda. I pray that each of you have been transformed by this experience and will remain involved in TVM's future. God bless each and every one of you.

Unknown said...

Dear Charlie,

Thank you for this wonderful letter and for helping me to know each member of the team. How very dear it is to know of a group giving so much of themselves for the benefit of others. Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts and allow them to be shared with those of us back home.
God bless you and every member of Team Rwanda 2010.